your winter survival guide

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

If you are like us, everything dries out in the winter.  Our hair has static, our skin is flaky and itchy, and to top it off, we are as pale as ghosts.  We have all heard the basic tips: short, infrequent showers with warm-not hot water, pat dry and apply lotion straight out of the shower, drink lots of water, yada yada yada...  But what products do we use?!?  As girls who have battled this problem for years, we have been around the block when it comes to products.  Here are some of our tried and true products that we love and have helped us through the winter blues.

1.) Cetaphil Skin Cleanser  $11 at drugstores
 
I have been using this for years and years.  The thought of having to use something else to wash my face with is enough to send me into hyperventilation mode.  Derms recommend that you apply it sans water and gently wipe your face with a damp cloth to remove.  I'm lazy and do it the old fashioned way and it works just fine. 

2.)  Medi-morphosis Self Adjusting Exfoliator $15 at Sephora

 
I only recently discovered this miracle worker when I was at the mall and when glancing at myself while passing a mirror like we all do, right? right? I spotted a huge patch of dry skin on my cheek.  I hoofed it down to Sephora and bought an exfoliator asap.  I use this only twice a week.  The beads dissolve as you massage them into your skin so it's not too rough and scratchy as I feel most exfoliators are.  Said patch was gone after one use.

3.)  La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF 15 $30 at Amazon

This is another recent discovery that I love.  I usually use Neutrogena Healthy Defense as my daily moisturizer but I was finding that as the winter wore on (and on and on - is it Spring yet?) that it just wasn't cutting it on my supremely dry skin.  It's not greasy as many sunscreens can be and has light-diffusing particles that leaves your skin with a dewy finish.  La Roche is a little more expensive than Neutrogena but I'm personally willing to shell out a little more when it comes to my skin.  Remember ladies, we still need the daily SPF even though it's winter!

4.) Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream $19 at drugstores

I love this cream for so many reasons.  You can find it anywhere.  It's a steal as far a night creams go.  It feels great on your skin.  It smells good.  It claims you will wake up looking like you had a mini face-lift.  I wouldn't go that far but it sure keeps my face moisturized throughout the night.  That's enough for me.

5.)  Eucerin Plus Smoothing Essentials Fast Absorbing Lotion $11 at drugstores

I am a Eucerin convert.  I actually bought this because I had a coupon (yes, it's happened: I'm turning into my mother).  To the bargain shopper it's a little expensive as far as drugstore lotions go but trust me, it's well worth it.  I put this on when I get out of the shower and it doesn't leave my skin feeling so greasy that I can't put my clothes on right away.  It is still able to attack the most dry skin and leaves me feeling silky smooth.  Now I'm starting to sound like a commercial.  I'll stop.

6.) Blistex Lip Medex $3 at drugstores
 
I'm old school when it comes to my dry lips.  I don't need the fancy-shmancy new products that come out claiming to plump my lips and cure cancer.  This is my all-time forever favorite.  Hubby makes fun of me when I'm running around the house yelling "where's my blue pot?".  It can be hard to find (I get mine at the local Wagreens) which makes me think I need to stock up for fear of the dreaded product discontinuation.  So when I buy this, I buy about 5 containers and stash them all over the house.  This is medicated so you will feel the burn as your lips go from painfully peeling to soft and smooth.  Love!

6.)  The PedEgg $8 at Amazon

You are laughing right?  Laugh away but I was so excited when I got mine.  I usually never buy into those "as seen on tv" gimmicks.  In fact, I just assume they are cruddy products that don't work.  There.  I said it.  But I love the PedEgg.  Come winter, my feet are dry and scaly: not a pretty sight.  They are neglected because they are stored away from view and let's face it, times are tough and gone are the days of the weekly pedi.  Give your feet a quick (or maybe not so quick depending on the condition of your feet) scrub with this and you won't be embarrassed to take your socks off.

7.) Redken Smooth Down Detangling Cream $15 at Ulta

I got turned on to this product from my hair guy.  I use this leave-in conditioner in addition to my regular in-shower rinse out conditioner.  That's right ladies: I have unruly hair that needs a little extra taming. When I use this, I never have static.  Ever.  This makes my hair so soft that I have become addicted and now use it year round. I need to seek help.  Warning to the wise: I have very thick, coarse, poofy hair.  I'm not sure how this would do on those with fine, thin hair.  Don't apply this to your roots and use at your own risk.  You've been warned.

8.) Neutragena Norwegian Formula Handcream $4 at Walgreens

I wear latex gloves and am constanty washing my hands durring my day job.  Needless to say my hands are dry on the best of days so winter presents  a whole new kind of dryness the likes most common folk don't see after a day of chopping wood bare-handed.  I have tried multiple hand creams and always come back to this one.  It does leave your hands quite greasy but boy does it work.  I apply it at night before I go to bed and wake up with super soft hands.

What about you?  Do you have any products you love that get you through the winter?  Share with us!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

My skin gets so dry in the winter, and hot showers do not help the dryness. I ususally lather lotion all over me after getting out of the shower. However, this winter I have and am using Dove Supreme Cream Oil Body Wash Ulta Rich Velvet with Lush Softening Oil and have found that my skin is soft and moisturized and I don't have to lather the lotion on like I used to. I love this body wash!

Jilly Moo said...

Great tip! Thanks Amanda!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails